Skip to main content

Should we be Facebook friends just because we have lots of Facebook friends in common?

You are probably all aware that Facebook suggests friends.

Over the past few weeks, I've been friending everyone where I have more than 100 friends in common. I used to do it above 50 friends, then 60, 70, 80, 90 and now 100 friends.

I thought that if we have 100 friends in common on Facebook then we probably have something in common.

But I have discovered this not to be the case. Counter-intuitive?

The fact that we have perhaps a hundred friends in common doesn't make us friends. It just makes us people with 100 friends in common. It could be because the other person is a famous person, or famous in their field and so lots of people are connected to them. It doesn't make them a "friend".

I have very few really close friends, probably like many of you, i.e. people with whom I can share anything. And then I have the regulars on Facebook with whom I communicate almost daily and then I have followers who want to know what I post, but don't want to friend me (which is fine, actually a good thing in light of this latest awakening in me!), and then I have friends who are really associates, people with whom I have come into contact and I want to remember the contact, but we don't communicate on a regular basis.

So today I have unfriended about 30 of these new "friends". If you happen to be one of them and you want to be my friend, then friend me and send me a message telling me why we should be friends.

Note that I will continue tor reduce the number of friends I have on Facebook over time. I hope you don't mind. It's just that every friend needs "maintenance" looking at photos, looking at posts, replying, communicating (which for me is definitely two way) and even though I am not someone to be overloaded easily, I am one who is easily distracted by this technology and I want to reduce that.

Cool?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Designing your own electricity system - part 7 (fridges)

Here are some specifications regarding energy saving fridges. Tafelberg sell some of the Ardo range of fridges. The Ardo rating is: 130KWH rating per year. Even if it really uses 165KWH per year, that will be amazing as an A++ energy star fridge is rated at 380KWH per year and a normal fridge much higher than that. My normal fridge (which I still need to replace) uses approximately 660 kwh per year which at 70 cents per kwh (my rate) is about R40 per month. Note that this is only based on one day's usage. After a few months, I will have a more accurate number. The Ardo fridge uses about 40Watts when it is on and is so quiet that a friend on mind has it in his passage outside two of the bedrooms. At 165kwh per year , the Ardo fridge costs R10 per month. A normal fridge is about R2000 and an Ardo fridge is about R8000. The difference is R6000, so R6000 / R30 (saving) = 200 months = 17 years. Not a very good payback period, but remember what I said in an earlier part of this blog s

Spying (seeing) our future - Parasha Sh'lach - Sh'lach - DAWS Episode 37